After again perusing the literature about teen sexual activity, I’ve culled out a few bits of helpful information in list form. These facts may help you as a parent, as you guide your teen:
- Most teen sexual activity happens in the boy’s home, the girl’s home, or a friend’s home.
- Teens who date earlier, have sex earlier, and have more partners. They also are more likely to contract STDs and get pregnant.
- A teen who dates someone 2 years or more older is much more likely to have sex, and get pregnant.
- More teens lose their virginity in December and June than other months. (Lack of supervision? Prom?)
And finally, to give you some ideas for positive “action items,”
- Teens whose parents monitored them more closely were less likely to become sexually active.
- Teens who had more family activities (including family dinners) per week were more likely to abstain from sex.
- Teens whose parents communicated the risks of sexual activity and expressed the expectation that their teen would wait, were less likely to have sex.
For more helpful facts about parental influence on teens’ sexual choices, click HERE